Kombucha is a fermented beverage consisting of black tea and sugar. A sugar-tea solution is fermented by bacteria and yeast commonly known as a “SCOBY” (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). You can use either homemade or store bought kombucha. Flavoured kombucha makes delicious taste variations. The gummies pictured were made with ginger and lemon kombucha.
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup kombucha* at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons Peptipro Gelatin powder
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of raw or Manuka honey
- Strain the orange juice to remove the pulp.
- In a small bowl combine half the orange juice and the Peptipro Gelatin powder - stir to incorporate then set aside for 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to swell and become gel-like.
- Add the remaining half a cup of orange juice to a small saucepan. Gently heat the juice to just before boiling point then remove from the heat.
- Break up the gelatin mixture and add to the hot juice then stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool for a few minutes – adding kombucha to hot liquid will kill the live bacteria.
- Gently pour in the kombucha and stir to combine. e mixture will foam up if you pour too fast.
- Place the silicon moulds on a baking tray so that they can be easily transferred to the fridge.
- Pour (or spoon) the mixture into the moulds and then place into the fridge for 1 hour to set.
- Alternatively, the mixture can be poured into a glass dish (lightly greased with coconut oil) and sliced into cubes after it has set.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.