This perfectly balanced 'traditional' Banana Bread is incredibly moist light and packed full of good fats, protein and incredible flavour.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Makes: 12 large servings
- 3 cups of organic wheat or spelt flour
(we’ve also tested it with buckwheat flour and it was just as great)
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 tspn bicarb soda
- 1 tspn organic maca powder
- 1 tspn nutmeg
- 1 tspn cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of raw organic sugar or coconut sugar
- 5 medium overripe bananas
- 6 tbsp Peptipro Collagen
- 3 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup of room temperature grass fed ghee
- 1/2 cup of chunky chopped walnuts + extra for garnish (optional)
- 3/4 cup of your milk of choice
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Line a 20cm x 25cm baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, maca powder, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add salt & sugar into the dry flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mash together 4 of the bananas. Gently whisk in the eggs, ghee and vanilla, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine 3/4 cup of milk with 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, and set aside.
- Add the egg & banana mixture into the flour mixture. Add walnuts and gently fold the mixture until half combined.
- Add in the soured milk mixture and continue to fold the mixture gently until completely combined. Take care not to overmix the mixture, as overmixing will result in a more dense banana bread.
- Transfer the mixture into the baking tray and level the batter.
- Slice your remaining banana into four thin and even slices & gently place on top of your banana bread as a garnish. Sprinkle with a some chopped walnuts.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Once cooked, remove from oven, transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with salted butter and your favourite cup of tea.