Leaky gut is a condition characterised by an unhealthy gut lining, which causes a variety of uncomfortable, and in some cases debilitating, internal and external symptoms.
What is a leaky gut?
When the lining of your small intestine is damaged, bacteria and foreign substances like undigested food particles ‘leak’ through the intestines and into the bloodstream . This is known as ‘leaky gut syndrome’, or intestinal permeability. When these waste products enter the blood, this can cause inflammatory and allergic responses presented in the form of migraines, irritable bowel, eczema, chronic fatigue, food allergies and rheumatoid arthritis.
When the blood stream becomes contaminated and blood cells become damaged, your intestines stop working as usual . One of the core issues with leaky gut is that the appropriate enzymes needed for digestion aren’t able to be produced, meaning your body can’t absorb essential nutrients. Therefore, leaky gut syndrome often leads to a weak immune system and hormonal fluctuations.
What causes a leaky gut?
Leaky gut can be a complex condition, and it can be hard to pinpoint the exact cause of every case. The condition is often caused by lifestyle habits that damage the intestinal barrier, like poor diet, excess alcohol, and excess stress, but can also be triggered by certain medications such as antibiotics, yeast overgrowth, or even as the result of a parasite .
What are the symptoms of a leaky gut?
Leaky gut symptoms presents differently for different people, but some signs you might have a leaky gut, or poor gut health, include:
- Skin issues and rashes, including acne, rosacea and eczema
- Food sensitivities or intolerances
- Nutrient deficiencies and/or nutrient malabsorption
- Sugar and carb cravings
- Digestive issues, including bloating, gas, constipation and diarrhoea
- Anxiety, depression, ADHD
- Joint pain
- Autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, celiac disease or Crohn's
- Chronic Fatigue
How to fix a leaky gut
There are a number of so-called leaky leaky gut treatments, but the common theme is cleaning up your diet. Focusing on eating a healthy, whole-food diet is a great start, but some other helpful tips for reversing leaky gut syndrome include:
- Removing alcohol from your diet: Cutting out that extra wine or beer could do wonders for healing your gut. By avoiding the preservatives and irritants in alcohol, you’re already well on your way to a cleaner, more gut-friendly lifestyle.
- Check for food sensitivities: Unfortunately, not all guts are the same, and some just can’t tolerate certain foods. Some common food sensitivities include gluten, lactose, fructose and sugar polyols.
- Go organic: Many products, especially fruit and vegetables, are ridden with pesticides to help keep their crops safe. Unfortunately, these toxins are not safe for our guts. The best choice is to buy organic produce, but if that’s not an option for you, make sure to wash your produce extra well before consuming.
- Prioritise stress management: Going for a walk in fresh air, a work out, journaling, or even five minutes of meditation can do wonders for stress management, which is directly linked to gut health.
- Gut healing supplements: In addition to healing your gut lining and preventing further damage, it's important to make sure your body is getting the vitamins, minerals and enzymes it needs to keep you healthy. Some of these nutrients include Zinc, Omega 3s, Glutamine, probiotics, antioxidants such as Vitamin C, mushroom supplements and amino acids like the ones found in Collagen.
How can collagen supplements help leaky gut?
Supplements such as probiotics and collagen can be particularly helpful in helping to heal from leaky gut syndrome.
Taking a probiotics supplement helps to increase your gut’s healthy bacteria levels and therefore improve gut health and gut barrier function. They are also proven to help prevent disruption to the intestinal wall.
Collagen supplements can also be extremely effective in fixing a leaky gut. Studies show that collagen contains amino acids that help to repair and restore the gut lining and strengthen the gut barrier.
Gelpro's Collagen Gut Health Powder is an Australian leaky gut supplement scientifically formulated with targeted ingredients to help relieve symptoms of leaky gut:
- Matricaria chamomilla which is traditionally used in Western Herbal Medicine to decrease flatulence, relieve abdominal bloating and soothe nerves.
- Glutamine which supports the gastrointestinal system and mucosal membrane health.
- Curcuma longa which supports liver health and bile secretion.
- Zinc which assists in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats and proteins.
Can a leaky gut fix itself?
Unfortunately, there’s no medication or magic cure for a leaky gut. The only way to heal a leaky gut is to make changes to the underlying causes, such as poor diet, excess stress, or irritating medications . The good news, however, is that once you start to make these changes, you should start to see improvements in your gut health fairly quickly.
What are the signs that a leaky gut is healing?
If you’ve made some lifestyle changes geared towards healing your leaky gut, you’re probably wondering how to tell if it’s actually healing. Well, it’s quite simple - if your initial symptoms have started to reverse, including regulated bowel movements, less sensitivity to food, minimised joint pain and improved energy and mood, you’re likely on the road to recovery.
However, it’s important to continue your new healthy habits, including eating healthy food, keeping stress levels low and taking gut-friendly supplements to ensure you maintain optimum gut, and overall, health.
Gelpro Australia offers a wide range of sustainably and ethically sourced collagen, wholefood and superfood supplements to support your wellness journey. Discover the benefits of our ancestrally inspired daily wellness essentials and shop our products at Gelpro Australia.